Friday, June 5, 2009

Riley's Birth Story

Wednesday, June 3 2009 started out as a day just like any other. Well, except for the fact that I was 9 months pregnant, waddled everywhere, and could barely roll out of bed. I rolled to the edge of the bed and waddled to the bathroom at 8am. As I was using the restroom, I heard this loud plop in the toilet and I thought I had lost my mucous plug. I was so excited because this meant progress! Maybe I wouldn't make it to my induction date of June 8 after all! I was dreading an induction in the worst way possible. I was so afraid that the labor process would be long and drawn out during an induction. Or worse, the drugs would put undue stress on Riley and he would have to be taken by c-section. After coming out of the restroom, I climbed back into bed. This would be an appropriate time to mention I was on Robin's side of the bed because I was going to check my email and post to my bulletin board group that I thought I had lost my mucous plug. As I was just getting settled in bed (on Robin's side) I felt a gush. My water had broken (on Robin's side). I jumped out of bed, which ain't easy if you're 9 months pregnant with over an 8 pounder. I knew my water had broken. I wasn't ready! I called my dad and asked him to come over and get Dawson because Dawson would be staying with my parents. Next, I called Robin and told him to come home from work because my water had broken. He said he was on his way. After Dawson left and Robin had gotten home, I began to feel a few mild contractions. Robin and I had some last minute packing to do (we thought we had until Monday, June 8) and by the time we left around 9:00am, I could hardly talk through the contractions anymore. Neither of us had eaten breakfast and the plan was to stop at a drive-thru along the way to the hospital. When Robin asked what I wanted, I couldn't talk and just stared at him. He drove straight to the hospital. Once at the hospital, I had to enter through the emergency room and fill out paperwork. I was wheeled back to labor and delivery where I was checked at 9:30am and found to be 4cm dilated and 100% effaced. I was amazed! I was really in labor! We were really going to have a baby that day. The contractions became closer together and more intense. I asked for an epidural and received the wonder drug at 10:30am. My nurse came to check me at 11:30am and said "Let's hope for big numbers....like a 6 or 7!" I was thinking..."Wow, that would be great." She checked me and said..."Um, you're 9.5 cm dilated". I kept saying "But I'm not ready!" Too late for that, huh? My doctor had to perform a c-section and another minor operation and she wanted me to dilate that last 0.5 cm anyway so we waited until 1pm when the doctor checked and began setting up the room for delivery. I started pushing at 1:30pm and Riley flew into the world at 2:53pm. He came so fast and so furiously that we were all surprised. Robin and my mom were in the delivery room with me and it was absolutely amazing. Having Riley was a terrific birth experience. Here are some pictures from our adventure.






Oh, the contractions...look at the monitor in the background. This is pre-epidural.



Seconds after Riley was born.



Look at that face! He looks so mad!



All better because he's holding daddy's hand



Riley and his daddy




Me and my boys



Checking out the feet. He has my feet!



My guys


I didn't know it was possible to love two people this much. To think that this baby is half me and half Robin brings me to tears of joy. He is truly a miracle.

We are finally resting at home as we were discharged from the hospital today (Friday, June 5 2009). Riley has lost a little bit of weight and has a very minor case of jaundice. We are breastfeeding and supplementing with formula, so hopefully he begins to pack on the ounces/pounds and the jaundice goes away so we can stop the supplemental bottle. We have our first pediatrician's visit on Monday, June 8. I can't believe I'm a momma!

2 comments:

Suzanna said...

What a great story! I had tears in my eyes as I read and when I saw his little face. Isn't it the sweetest feeling in the world?

So happy for your new family!

Pink Mystique said...

What a wonderful birth story!! I am so happy for you.