Breastfeeding is not going well. I've seen a lactation specialist, Riley's pediatrician, and anybody else I can think of. Basically Riley was not bringing my milk in enough and wasn't getting enough nutrition from the breast alone. So the LC recommended that I use a SNS (supplemental nursing system). I tried that for 3 weeks and he still wasn't getting enough of the breast milk. So I made a hard decision on Saturday (6/27) that I would switch totally to bottle feeding. However, I have discovered that I can pump enough in 2 pumping sessions to feed him a bottle, so he still will be getting some breast milk. I cried over the decision, but in the end I have to do what's best for Riley. He's already up to 9 lbs, so we must be doing something right! .jpg)
.jpg)




2 comments:
I'm a friend of Suzanna's and don't know you at all but found a link to your blog on hers.
I just want to offer you encouragement about breastfeeding vs. bottle feeding.
I have two sons. Breastfeeding my first was a NIGHTMARE. I, like you, finally had to make the VERY difficult decision to stop because I was making myself, my husband and our baby CRAZY. I cried and cried (and can still cry) over the decision. BUT, my son is 100% perfectly FINE and he had bottles the entire first year. He was no more sick than any other child, only had 1 ear infection when he was 1.5 years old and is developing perfectly normally. There's so much indirect pressure about breastfeeding and all the benefits. But, when it comes down to it, bottle feeding isn't bad. Someone told me that it's like eating spaghetti vs. eating chicken. Chicken is probably better for you, but eating spaghetti isn't bad for you. Silly, but true. So, don't beat yourself up over it. You're doing what's best for your family.
Now, just to give you hope for the future (that is if you want more kids...you may not). I had my 2nd son 3 months ago and it's been a completely different experience. Breastfeeding was difficult in the beginning (not near as hard as the first) but it's gotten a lot easier and more manageable. So, it just goes to show, every child is different. What is best for some isn't best for others. Good luck (and don't think I'm weird for commenting. I just have a heart for encouraging folks that can't breastfeed. I've been there and know how emotional that decision is).
Thank you for the encouraging words. You have no idea how much that means to know that I'm not alone and others have gone through the same experience. I would never wish these trials on anyone, but it helps to know you're not alone. By the way, I totally do NOT think it's creepy in any way for you to comment even though we don't know each other. I always read the other blogs that Suzanna has linked on her page. :)
Post a Comment