Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Wicked Stepmother?


So if you are reading this, you are probably wondering why the title of this blog is the Wicked Stepmother. Let me give you some background information. I have been married to Robin for almost 3 wonderful years. Robin has an eight year old son, Dawson, from a previous marriage. Two years ago, Robin and I were fortunate enough to have Dawson come live with us full time. So here I was, married only eight months, and we receive custody of a six year old boy! Wow, when I look back on that time, it sure has flown by. Anyway, Dawson came to live with us when he was six and I have been his full-time momma ever since. Dawson still has a relationship with his real mom and maintains contact with her. Yet, I am the one who wakes him up with tickles and kisses, picks out his clothes, fixes his hair (before I cut it off for the summer!), prepares and cooks all his meals, plays Lego's and cards (his favorite card game is Texas Hold 'Em...I know, I know...but look at his parents, for goodness' sake), reads bedtime books and stories, and tucks him in at night. So, with all that said, being a parent is hard. But being a step-parent? That's the hardest. Dawson still calls me Jenn and every time I hear that, it breaks my heart. I so desperately want to be a mom. I know Dawson loves me and thinks of me as a mother, but he's just not comfortable calling me mom and I respect that. I would never tell Dawson it upsets me that he calls me Jenn, but I hope and pray that one day he'll start calling me mom. I just want the world to know how very hard it is for step-mothers who are raising kids. And realize that we are not all evil, wicked women. I love Dawson as if I had given birth to him. The only time I turn into the wicked stepmother is when someone messes with MY kid!

1 comment:

Pink Mystique said...

Jenn, this brought tears to my eyes. I hope someday you get your wish and he decides to called you mom. In the meantime, we all know you really are a mom to him. And the photo is wonderful!